Thursday, October 08, 2009

New Comics: October 7, 2009

This turned out to be a small but expensive week for me. I wasn't able to pick up everything but here is what I did get:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #608: Alright, now I have to admit I didn't read much of this series in the 1990's but I did hear enough about the "Clone Saga" to know it was worth avoiding. This issue features characters and concepts from that era and really don't interest me. But with the upcoming appearance of Deadpool and the upcoming story "The Gauntlet" I think this and the next issue will serve as sort of 'catch your breath before the ride begins' issues!

DEADPOOL #16: Deadpool's quest to become an X-Man continues as this series hits it's stride again. Seriously, how could any other book but DEADPOOL contain the X-Men, a fight with Domino, a new costume for Deadpool and 372,844 pancakes that all serve a purpose in the story? Deadpool was rejected by the X-Men for being to unpredictable and violent *cough* Wolverine *cough* which makes no sense when you consider WOLVERINE. So, being the bright guy he is...kinda sorta...he decided to show his worth by putting a bullet in the brain pan of the father of one of the newest X-Men because he's causing some trouble for the group and their new...island nation? this is how Deadpool keeps it real!

DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1: Besides having the longest title in recent memory, this book features the beginning of Marvel's newest Sorcerer Supreme, the former Brother Voodoo. He has a quest, he needs to find out what the big upcoming threat to our universe is before it happens. He's going around using methods and magics Dr. Strange would have never used. He was able to imprison Dormammu in his domain and was almost taken out by Doctor Doom before Doom realized what the threat was. I think that's what happened. Anyway, I was nervous about this but the first issue was fun. The art is going to take some getting used to but if this series focuses on the supernatural side of the Marvel Universe I think it will be a good series, but I doubt it will last long.

MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: DEADPOOL: It covers the history and upcoming stories of Deadpool. What more is there to say?


Also...
I grabbed PETER & MAX: A FABLES NOVEL and have just started reading it. It's good so far!

No comments: