Thursday, September 30, 2010

(Not my) Weekly Pull...

SCOTT PILGRIM, VOLUME 1: SCOTT PILGRIM'S PRECIOUS LITTLE LIFE
Words and Pictures: Bryan Lee O'Malley


I got this mostly out of curiosity. the movie made some waves and this series of digest sized graphic novels has had a lot of attention for a long time. So I wanted to see what this was all about.
I'm a bit surprised Scott Pilgrim is considered a hero, he's something of a loser. He has no job, owns very little and contributes next to nothing in his personal life.
He's also dating a high school girl but seems to have little interest in being little more than just a friend.
You don't get the whole 'evil ex' thing until a little more than half way through although he does get and email then a letter talking about a fight that he simply ignores because he has something of a short attention span.
I'm sure there isn't much I can say about this that everyone doesn't already know but I will say this: the ONLY thing I didn't like was the digest size format. The art is fun and interesting and suffers from such a small format. The characters are, in terms of this mythical land of Canada, realistic in the way they interact and talk.
It's almost like a slacker version of Strangers in Paradise (I bet THAT comparison has never been made!)
I will be getting the second volume to see how the story goes.

No comments: